Step 1 – Who Do You Already Work With?
Think of 3-5 clients that you have worked with in the past. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What is it that I like about them?
- What is it that I don’t like about them?
Note down your answers and find out if there are any commonalities.
Step 2 – Demographics & Interests Of Your Dream Clients
Try to describe your dream clients as best as you can regarding their outward appearance. By doing so try to answer the following questions:
- How old are your dream clients?
- What’s their occupation?
- What’s their yearly income?
- What’s their educational level?
- Are they married or do they have kids?
- Are they located in a certain area?
- What kind of hobbies do they have? What kind of food do they like? What about sports, music that they listen to, the car that they drive?
If you don’t know the answer to every question, don’t worry. And if you think that there are additional things that are important feel free to note them down. There is no right or wrong. Just try to picture your dream clients in the most detailed way.
Step 3 – Frustrations & Fears Of Your Dream Clients
Now that you have a clear picture of the outward experience of your dream clients think about what occupies their mind in terms of possible frustrations and fears:
- What keeps them up at night?
- What annoys or frustrates them?
- What are their daily challenges?
- Where do they often fail?
- What/who is holding them back when it comes to success, happiness and fulfilment?
- What features (or lack of features) do they complain about regarding certain products or services?
Step 4 – Wants & Desires Of Your Dream Clients
Maybe it’s less the frustrations or fears that drive your dream clients but rather their wants and desires. Please think about the following questions:
- What does your dream client want for themselves?
- What do they want for others (spouse, family, friends, clients etc.)?
- What or who do they aspire to become?
- What goals have they set for themselves?
- What values are important to them?
- What is their secret wish?
Step 5 – Buyer Drivers
Last but not least think about how your dream clients tick when it comes to your coaching service:
- What is their expectation regarding the quality and way of deliverance of your service?
- What are their price/budget considerations?
- What may be their common objections?
- What may be a deal killer when they think about working with you?
- Do they decide on their own, whether they want to work with you or is someone else involved in the decision-making?